AN ILL WIND OF LONG AGO BLEW SOME GOOD TO GARLAND
Library service was established in the City of Garland as a result of a tornado that tore a path of destruction through the northwest corner of Garland on May 9, 1927. The tornado claimed fourteen lives in Garland, including Mrs. Missouri Nicholson and her son, the former mayor, S. E. Nicholson.
Seeking to provide a lasting memorial to his mother and brother, W. R. Nicholson of Longview, Texas, purchased a former bank building on the northeast corner of the Garland Square and donated it to the city. In December 1933, the remodeled building reopened and housed both a community center and a 1,200 square foot library. The Library initially operated with volunteers, but later, city funded employees were hired. Shortly after World War II, the Library became a member of the Dallas County Library System.
In 1957, the Library was designated as a department of the City of Garland and funding for library services was increased. In 1965, the Library became independent of the Dallas County Library System and, to this day, continues to be fully-funded by the City of Garland.
Today’s Nicholson Memorial Library System is funded and operated as a department of the City of Garland, and consists of a Central Library, three branch libraries, and an online portal for digital resources. The library system offers a well curated collection of books and media as well as online resources and digital books. The library is also a place where patrons can enjoy a variety of programming for all ages, use study rooms, and obtain computer and Internet access.
Our library has a special place in the hearts of Garland Area Makerspace as it is the place where we have held maker events for the past 18 months. We are happy to report that Karen Archibald and other members of the Nicholson Library staff will have a table at the November 3rd event. They will bring materials on library resources relevant to makers’ interests as well as a short survey gauging local interest in a makerspace at the library.